Postal Information - Delivery
Our staff at KD Mailing & Fulfillment are extremely knowledgeable in postal regulations. KD works with our clients to create the best mail piece design. Let us show you how to set up a mailing piece to help qualify for the best postal rates, eligible postal discounts and post office services.
USPS Ancillary Service Endorsement
Do you need an ancillary service endorsement? Even if your mail is addressed properly the USPS mat still be unable to make a delivery. For instance, your customer may have moved or the building may be vacant. By using special addressing services called ancillary service endorsements, you can give the Postal Service specific instructions for how to handle your mail if it is undeliverable as addressed. Depending on the purpose of your mailing, you may want those pieces forwarded to customers who have moved, or you may want a corrected address returned to you.
Five Different Ancillary Service Endorsements
Ancillary service endorsements include five basic phrases that are printed on the address side of your mail piece:
- “Address Service Requested,”
- “Return Service Requested,”
- “Change Service Requested,”
- “Forwarding Service Requested,”
- “Electronic Service Requested.”
Undeliverable mail is handled differently depending on the class of mail, the endorsement you use, and how recently your customer has moved. Some of these ancillary service endorsement actions have fees associated with them and may cost you money. First-class mail is forwarded to the new address free of charge. If the mail is undeliverable, the letter is returned to you for free. As a result, an ancillary service endorsement can be a really good value for your postage.
You can use an ancillary service endorsement to change how your first-class mail is treated. Undeliverable standard mail that doesn’t have an endorsement is disposed of by the Postal Service. This is a good reason to make sure that your address list is correct and current.
Post Office Tips
- Before you put an endorsement on your mail piece, make sure you understand what service you will receive and what fees may be charged for that service.
- Pay special attention to the weighted fee charge for standard mail endorsed “Address Service Requested” or “Forwarding Service Requested.” This fee more than doubles the original postage cost and catches many by surprise.
- The best way to avoid undeliverable or returned pieces is to check the accuracy of your address list before you mail.
Need Help with Mailing Services?
Our team is here to help. KD Mailing & Fulfillment offers a variety of mailing services for large or small projects. Our direct mail company is here to help your organization gain the competitive advantage. From kitting packaging to digital printing services, you’ll find everything you need right here. Get in touch with us today and we’ll deliver the results you need. View our mailing services pricing for an instant estimate.